Menu

Refrigerator Pickles



Was browsing through Facebook the other day and noticed a recipe for these pickles.  I will note that this wasn't my recipe and in fact used the recipe found HERE.

Here on Hussey Farms (that's what I call our dinky garden), we plant a little garden every year.  I love fresh fruit and veggies, so I enjoy doing it (until it gets extremely hot lol).  So far, right now, we're getting cucumbers every day.  So I thought what a great idea it would be to try this out.

So, I basically did what the recipe called for.  I used a Ball jar and another reused pickle jar, but I also didn't use as many onions as this recipe called for.  Three onions is a lot.  I used a small onion and half of another.


Here's how I fixed these pickles.


1 - Chopped cucumbers into slices.  Probably about 3/16".  I didn't want them so thin where they'd be limp.  I wanted some structure!  Onions were sliced thinly.  Maybe a 1/16" to 1/8".

The pot of water you see to the right, I actually took the water, vinegar, sugar, and salt and placed on medium heat to get the salt and sugar dissolved.  Then I let that mixture cool before I poured on the mixture.





2 - Layer pickles and onion over and over until you reach the top.  Add the celery seed when at the top.  I only added 1 teaspoon to this.






3 -  Pour mixture over cucumbers, onion, and celery seed.  Place the lid on and I turned the jar some to get the celery seed mixed in well.  




4 - That's it!  Enjoy them.  I have already eaten the first small jar I made and almost through this jar.  After 1-2 days is when they're the best!  


Ingredients:

1 cup white vinegar

1 cup granulated sugar

1 cup water

1-2 teaspoons celery seed

1 teaspoon salt

3 cups sliced cucumber

1-2 small onions (I used white onions (and 1.5 onion total))


Can use a container or jar like I did (cause it's the cool thing to do these days).

Note: Next time a little fresh dill would be a nice addition as well.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Post

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *