Menu

Southern Self-Rising Buttermilk Biscuits






I have made several recipes for biscuits and they have turned out pretty well, however they just didn't have the look and taste of what I was used to.  Now, growing up, my Mom still says today she cannot make biscuits the way her mother or sisters could make, but I thought she did a great job.  These biscuits come pretty close to home.

Funny story here.  My aunt came to visit us earlier this year.  She makes some of the best biscuits you'll ever eat.  I asked her "how do you make your biscuits".  Her reply was, I just add some Crisco to my flour bowl (a bowl she keeps full of flour at all times and the bowl is older than me), combine the Crisco and flour to make balls, add buttermilk, then shape into biscuits".  My eyes cut over to her and I say "shape into biscuits"?  She says yes, I just shape them into biscuits.  She don't roll them out or cut them, she hand forms them!

I'm not doing all that jazz, but they taste pretty close to hers though (from what I remember).  This recipe is about as easy as they come.  You will be making biscuits for your family more often now!

This is how it comes together:


1 - The ingredients






 2 -  Sift flour into a large bowl with half teaspoon sugar (optional) and half teaspoon salt (optional)




3 -  Add shortening and then cut with a pastry cutter, two knives, or by hand.  I used my hands and just mixed well into the flour.  Should make little ball like pieces.


4 -  Add the buttermilk then mix up until all moisture is absorbed and no dry flour is visible.  You don't want to over mix.




5 - Flour your work surface.



6 - Place dough on floured surface and roll out into a 1/2" thick piece of dough.


7 -  Cut biscuits with cutter or like me, with a glass.  Dip the glass into flour to avoid it sticking.  Place on a cookie sheet (I didn't grease it as the pan is new and non-stick).





8 -  Place in pre-warmed oven for 10-12 mins.  Brush with butter immediately.



Ingredients:

Makes about 6-8 biscuits.

2 cups self-rising flour (I used Southern Biscuit brand)
1/2 teaspoon sugar (you can do 1 full teaspoon if you like a sweeter biscuit)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup vegetable shortening (Crisco)
3/4 cup buttermilk (if your flour seems dry add a tad more buttermilk)
1-2 tablespoons melted butter


Tip:   Don't have buttermilk?  Add a couple tablespoons white vinegar to whole milk.  Let set for 5 min before using.  However, I like the real thing, so I try not to forget the buttermilk :) .




No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Post

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *